Congratulations to the players who spent the previous weekend in Schaumburg for the K-12 High School National Championships. Most of our players were in the Under 800 section, where we placed 14th out of 63 teams and brought home one of the top 20 team trophies! That group was led by Kayin T. who finished in 21st place out of more than 300 players! We also were represented by Andrey N. in the U1600 section with 4 points and Chris S. in the U1200 section, also with 4 points. And we even had a father/daughter team take 1st place in the combined Friends and Family section.
Congratulations Jocelyn S. and dad for your successful Saturday!
Also, congratulations to the 3rd/4th grade team who finished in the top 3 at the CPS north-side Playoffs and qualified for the City Championships this this coming Sat. 3/30 back at Whitney Young! I regret that not everyone on the team can participate in these events due to size limitations. Although our other grade level squads just missed out on qualifying as a team (they all got 4th or 5th place), we did have some individuals that earned a spot in the Championships. A big applause for Kalen A., Andrey N. (who was the overall winner of the 5th/6th grade section!), and Steven U. for advancing to the finals. If you are invited, please return the attached permission slip as soon as possible to adequately prepare for the event.
Here are some important updates about our upcoming chess activities:
- Unfortunately, the Chicago chess community lost one of its finest individuals, Mike Cardinale, to a long fight with brain cancer. Mike ran the Youth Chess Foundation of Chicago for many years, which offered the free tournaments that Bateman has attended since I first started coaching in 2006-2007. He was also a dear friend of mine, so I will be attending his funeral on Tuesday, Mar. 26. Therefore, we will be cancelling all practices on Tue. 3/26. Also, due to a scheduling conflict, there will also be no Free Chess this Fri. 3/29. I apologize for the inconvenience.
- Many of the Bateman chess team members are now sporting the new shirts. There is a back order on some them, so if your child has not yet received hers/his, thank you for being patient. As soon as they arrive, they will be sent home with your child. We will be sticking with the new logo and design, and will place future orders with the vendor. We might also consider names on the back of the shirt, which some players and parents have requested. Stay tuned for more information about that development.
- This is a reminder that we have some upcoming April events to consider for participation.
-The All-Girls National Tournament is a three-day event on 4/12-4/14. All CPS female students qualify for a free entry. I will be sending home an interest form and flyer for anyone interested in participating in this special event.
-A reminder that the MVP tournament on 4/17 is by invitation only. If a student hasn’t already received their invitation, they will get it this week (There are only 12 spots awarded to Bateman).
-The next free CCF tournament is scheduled for Sat. 4/27. The Foundation is finalizing the location details which will be shared as soon as they are confirmed.
- The All-Stars program is currently scheduled to wrap up at the end of April. However, we will likely get a few extra sessions extended as soon as the available funding is evaluated. I will also continue to open the room for Free Chess every Friday until the end of May. When we receive confirmation on the official last day, a notice will be sent out.
- Many Bateman families have continued to show interest in the K-6 Chess Nationals in Nashville, TN on May 10-12. I will be sending home a final interest form so that we can plan as a team as to which sections would best fit and to discuss travel arrangements. If you are even just curious about this big event, please let me know.
- Bateman was recently complimented for having a very well-organized website and Facebook page. Shout out to the parent volunteers who have really helped get those resources together this year!
- We are still planning to do a couple of spring fundraisers for the Bateman chess program: Our annual Chess-a-thon, and a Chess Movie Night. We would like to do one of the events during the week of Apr. 29 to help support families that are going to the K-6 Nationals. The other event will be after May 13, and will be updated as soon as we get confirmation.
- Please consider joining the Chicago Chess Foundation for their Chess Night Out fundraiser on Thu. Apr. 4 at Metropolitan Brewing. The Foundation has been sponsoring free chess events like tournaments, camps, and coaching for the past five years, and Bateman has been involved in many of those activities.
- As a reminder, students should be using their chesskid.com accounts for additional practice and study. I encourage students to enjoy using the website for targeted lessons, videos, skill workouts, and online matches with friends. I do, however, emphasize the importance of doing school work first, as well as maintaining a healthy lifestyle with limited screen time.
If you have any questions or concerns, you can contact me at firstname.lastname@example.org or (773)534-5055.
Member: United States Chess Federation, Illinois Chess Association, Chicago Chess Foundation